The home-selling process for first-timers
It’s often assumed that when it comes to selling a property in Bishop’s Stortford everyone sort of knows what they’re doing and how to go about it. Most people sell things all the time on Ebay or Facebook, so the concept of selling something a bit bigger on a different portal must be relatively similar- right?
Selling your home whether you’re a first time seller or an experienced property guru can be a total nightmare because there are so many different factors at play. So for a first time seller it can be really daunting knowing where to start.
Hopefully our handy checklist below will help you to get your affairs in order and get your home sold faster and for the best price!
- Where are you going? When you’re thinking of moving you need to have a clear idea of what you’re looking for in a new property, where you want to move to and the cost of the next property. Sit down and work out what your new home will cost you and work out if you’re likely to need to get a mortgage for it.
- Find yourself a good solicitor If you haven’t got one already- or perhaps aren’t too fond of the one you have then ensure that you find yourself a great solicitor who is on your level and will do their best to help you with the sale of your property. You need to be open and honest with them so they can help you to full effect!
- Give your home a once over If you’re looking to sell, it’s a great idea to give your home a bit of attention before you list with an agent. Ask a friend or neighbour to go around the house with you and make notes on what needs to be done in each room- don’t forget the garden either. Your friend’s fresh eyes will help to see the things you might look past day-to-day. This will ensure that your home is de-cluttered and given some TLC before you think about photo-shoots and viewings!
- Instruct an agent – Make sure you interview at least 3 agents and get 3 valuations done on your property. Not only will this help you to solidify in your mind what your property is worth but it also gives you the chance to meet and choose the agent whose practice you like the most and who you have a good rapport with. Getting your property valued will also help you to see how much money you could have to play with which will help you sort your moving finances.
- Professional Photos – make sure you instruct an estate agent who champions professional photography. In order to make your home look as appealing as possible you must ensure your photos are top quality.
- Let your agent do their job It is your agents’ job to advise you on how best to sell your property in your area and in the current climate. So listen to their advice and ensure that where possible you can cooperate with them. They know the property market like the back of their hand so allow them to spearhead selling the property for you. We also recommend that where possible you allow your agent to conduct viewings as often potential buyers don’t show their true thoughts and feeling on a property if they’re shown around by the current owners.
Hopefully our hints and tips will stand you in good stead to sell your property faster and for more. Still confused? Don’t panic! If you’re thinking of selling your first home but have no idea where to start, just pick up the phone and give us a call on 01279 719193, we’d love to offer you some more helpful advice to help get your home sold.
Bye for now!