Let’s face it, every home owner wants to sell their home for the best price. I don’t think as an estate agent that I’ve met a seller yet who doesn’t! With the property market still buoyant in Bishop’s Stortford (shhh don’t mention Brexit) we’re regularly selling properties for above their asking price – great news if you’re selling your home in Bishop’s Stortford right now! The average figure we achieved over the last 6 months across all our property sales was 5% above the asking price – and that’s just an average. People are always asking me what the secret is to achieving such high prices and I am regularly asked, “how do you do it Angela?” So what’s the secret to our success? How did we manage to sell a property just last week for £50,000 above the asking price ?
Luckily, I’m willing to share my secrets to help you too, to sell your home for the very best price. Here are my 5 best tips to selling your property for more than the asking price in Bishop’s Stortford:
- Professional photos are a must – with all buyers now turning to either Rightmove or Zoopla to search for their next property, buyers are making their minds up in a matter of minutes whether to view your property. They’ll be judging your property based on your Rightmove listing, and let’s face it, a huge weighting is placed on the property photos – it’s the first thing that everyone looks at. Bearing that in mind, professional quality photography is simply essential. When choosing your agent, check out the standard of their photography first – average looking photos simply aren’t going to get the buyers through the door.
- Presentation – buyers are renowned for having very little imagination when it comes to viewing a property, and even if they think they can see past your clutter – subconsciously they probably still can’t. I’m an estate agent, and even I struggle at times! It’s a simple fact that well-presented properties sell for more than those that are poorly presented or cluttered. Not only does it improve your property photos but it’ll also give a much better impression once you get the buyers through the door. The top three things I would recommend are; de-cluttering, giving your property a really deep clean and giving your property a lick of paint before you put it on the market.
- Choose a motivated, friendly agent – the quality of your estate agent naturally has a bearing on the success of your property sale. A motivated agent takes that little bit of extra time over your property details, which will get you more people through the door. They’ll ensure that all enquiries are converted in to viewings, will keep you updated and will do a great job of the viewings too. Pick someone who’s likeable, honest, trustworthy and that you get along with. Are they passionate about what they do? Don’t just pick an agent based on their valuation, pick the one that’s going to fight to get you the best possible price.
- Social media – we’re using social media more and more when it comes to selling properties. Most buyers are likely to be on Facebook or Twitter so reach them where they hang out the most – on social media. You can reach a vast audience via the power of Facebook (and we’re even using Linkedin and Google plus to good effect too). We also have ways of arranging your property link to be shared via Zoopla and Rightmove’s Facebook pages too (ask me how!).
- Timing – also critical is the time of year you choose to put your property on the market. Why would you want to hold your open day when hardly any buyers are looking? It’s a no brainer to me – think about the type of property you have and choose the time of year accordingly. Or better still, if you’re not sure then ask me I’m happy to help – there’s a right time for each every different type of property – when is yours?
What to read next: ‘Does professional photography really matter?’ http://www.personalpropertyshop.co.uk/does-professional-photography-really-matter/
What to do next: If you enjoyed reading this blog post and would like more top advice then head over to our Facebook page and ‘like us’ www.facebook.com/thepersonalpropertyshop
Speak to Angela: If you’re thinking about putting your home on the market or are currently struggling to sell, then give me a call on 01279 719193 or email email@example.com