When selling your home, you’ll normally have two main motivations – to sell your home for the very best price or to sell it as quickly as possible. This is of course, dependant on your circumstances, and as an estate agent I see people in plenty of different situations. I would say MOST people though, are trying to achieve the best price they can for their home – and that’s where a great estate agent comes in! In Bishop’s Stortford, many properties are currently selling relatively quickly, but how can you make sure your home sells for the VERY best price possible?
Here are my top 7 tips for achieving top dollar on your property:
- Professional photography – times have changed and property selling has very much moved to the internet. You literally have a few seconds to grab the attention of a potential buyer and encourage them to book that all important viewing. Photos are the FIRST thing that 99% of potential buyers’ will look at on your Rightmove listing so they have GOT to be the best they can possibly be. That’s why it’s so important nowadays that you pick an agent that uses a professional photographer. If you want the top price, it’s got to look worth every penny!
- Hire a home stager – making sure your home is presented in the best way possible to attract potential buyers is key to achieving the best price. A professional home stager will make sure your property gives the very best impression, maximises your space and will have potential buyers queuing to make an offer on your home.
- Be prepared – not only researching top tips before putting your home on the market but preparing your home before viewings so that it’s presented in the best way possible are essential if you want to get the best price when selling. It doesn’t create a great impression when a potential buyer turns up at your door and you’re still hovering! So instead, take the time to prepare your home properly and it’ll pay dividends later.
- Hold an open day – you might love them, you might hate them but ultimately open days will get you the best possible price for your home when you sell. When buyers know that other people are interested they’ll more than likely put in their highest offer straight away. If you have more than one offer then you could potentially achieve way above your asking price too. Particularly in Bishop’s Stortford where properties are popular, we use open days a lot…and they work too
- Make the effort – don’t just rely on your estate agent, as you have a part to play in preparing your home too. Fresh flowers, windows opened, lights switched on and pets out of the house are a few ways you can prepare your home for viewings. Have a read of ’10 Quick Home Staging Tips’ to find out the best way to present your home for viewings. Make sure those little DIY jobs are done, go and have a look round local show homes, create an ambience where buyers feel comfortable – there’s lots you can do to help.
- Choose a smaller, independent estate agent – who will take the time and make the effort to think about every little detail with your marketing, make sure you have a tailor-made strategy for your property and be motivated to help you get the very best price possible for your home when you sell. A smaller estate agent has more time to dedicate to each property and so should have more time to put in to marketing your property and negotiating you the best possible price.
- Be flexible – allowing buyers to view when it’s convenient for them is crucial. People lead busy lives and so it’s important you are flexible to allow your estate agent to bring people over in the evenings and on weekends or at short notice. After all you want THEM to buy YOUR house, so make the effort to be flexible and you’ll get a great buyer who’ll be prepared to pay the top price for your property.
Follow our top tips and we’re sure you’ll sell for the best possible price and get that little bit extra towards your next property. If you’re thinking of selling in the near future or know someone that is and want to ensure that YOU get the best possible price then get in touch for a free home visit and we’ll help you achieve your goals. Just call us on 01279 719193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to read next? ‘Should open days be banned?’